Looking for a pocket-friendly trip in Asia? We have curated the topmost cheapest places to plan a trip within your budget.
Who doesn’t love traveling? A getaway from monotonous and busy life rejuvenates your mind and soul. But traveling comes with a cost and sometimes is pocket digging. Don’t worry there are so many cheap places to travel in Asia that don’t drain down your finances.
Being home to 48 countries with diverse cultures Asia is the largest continent in the entire globe that caters to fascinating historical sites, astonishing views, and delicious food. Almost every country in Asia is worth a visit but it also has some costly countries like Singapore, Japan, and South Korea. For now, we will focus only on the cheapest country to visit in Asia.
Research says that Asia has the most appealing landmarks, the friendliest people, and the most interesting culture altogether. Whether you love leisure on the beach shores, like being around mountains, or love watching shining deserts. Asia has everything in its store.
Table of Contents
Cheap tourist destinations in Asia that don’t put a strain on your wallets!
Whenever you plan for a trip no matter whether it’s solo travel, couple, or family the most important factor while deciding the destination is your budget. Every single thing depends on this single factor. An international holiday has its own share of excitement and thrill. But traveling outside of the country is super costly. But it is not applicable in every case, especially in Asia. The budget of your trip highly depends on the country you pick. You can easily travel internationally with the same budget that you create for a national one. So without further ado check out this list of cheap countries to visit in Asia.
The Philippines is not only one of the cheapest countries in terms of cost of living and traveling in Asia. But also the Filipino people are truly the friendliest humans on the planet.
This country is made of more than 7000 islands with breathtaking beaches, chocolate hills, and active volcanoes. Palawan Island is cited as the most stunning one in the world. You can get five-star treatment here without struggling on your financial front.
The added advantage is almost every Filipino speaks English so you won’t struggle in communication. There are a lot of things you can do here but it is hard to decide which one is the best. Here you can go with family or alone. Here you can enjoy a Starbucks summer drink while roaming on the beach, this drink gives a feeling of freshness in summer. Check out the below to-do list when you step into this country.
- You can have a lot of fun doing kite surfing at Bulabog beach.
- Enjoy cliff jumping, swimming, and have rum-infused drinks at Hinagdanan cave.
- Fill your evening with Kayaking at Panangsama beach.
- Watch the magnificent green layers of the chocolate hill. Climb it if you love adventure.
- Walk along the sturdy bamboo bridge over the flowing river at the bamboo hanging bridge.
- Experience a relishing spa at the massage centers.
- Play games and live night at the casinos.
- Taste the uniqueness of Filipino food.
- Shop in the flea market at Recto highway.
Many travelers avoid planning for a Malaysian trip as they think it is expensive but it’s not! Yes, you read that right. Due to its strong economy and affluent regions like Kuala Lumpur, many people think it will be beyond their budget. But the truth is the opposite, this country is cheaper than you think and Kuala Lumpur is way cheaper than alternate places like Singapore.
Malaysia has got world heritage sites at Penang, beach-paradise islands (Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park), cultural hubs (Malacca), and tree-top National Parks (Taman Negara). The only downfall in this country is that they charge exorbitant tax on alcohol. You will find very expensive alcohol in restaurants, bars, and even supermarkets. You can try white and red wine by coming to a good bar here, But the prices of liquor in Australia, the US, and the UK is more or less the same.
Things to do in Malaysia:
- Have the finest tea at Cameron highlands.
- Visit the oldest and the only glass temple namely Sri Rajakaliamman Hindu temple at Johor Bahru.
- See the largest tea farm in Cameron highlands.
- Visit the limestone blades in Marudi.
- Check out one of the largest caverns in the globe namely the Niah caves at Miri.
- Pay a visit to the cat city (cat museum) at Kuching.
- Watch the most deadliest and poisonous sea snakes on the Borneo island at Kuala Penyu.
Cambodia is well-known for its captivating landscape and rich history. This country comes under cheap places to visit in Asia where you can spend your vacation lavishly with a low budget. The most famous monument in the country is Angkor Wat. This place is also considered an alternative to touristy Thailand. This country has of its kind islands such as Koh Totang, Koh Thmei, and Koh Ta Kiev.
The price of accommodation in Cambodia is way cheaper. Therefore in case you want to upgrade your room, you can do it without thinking more about the thickness of your wallet. Also, you can book your room at extravagant hotels which will cost you a flat half price from its neighboring countries.
Things to do in Cambodia:
- Watch jaw-dropping Cambodian circus performed by youths at Siem Reap.
- Visit the 12th-century city complex. You can hire a tuk-tuk driver and bicycles to roam around.
- Visit the wildlife rescue center that accommodates more than 100 species of animals at Phnom Tamao.
- Check out the party island at Koh Rong, you will get to see monkeys, hornbill birds, and sea eagles. The sand here is crystal white. Don’t forget to carry water and a few bucks to enter the lighthouse.
Indonesia is one of the cheapest countries to visit in Asia to experience peaceful islands. Though Bali is a well-known tourist destination in the country, Indonesia has over 17000 islands, making this place perfect for those who want to experience island life. Bali is cheaper in terms of accommodation but the country has lesser-known islands where you can get value for the money you spend. Bali is also a romantic place, which is best for couples. If you come here with your partner, then you can organize a surprise birthday party. These islands have rural villages, volcanoes, waterfalls, and mountains.
Things to do in Indonesia
- Komodo national park is the field of living aggressive dragons. This site is among the most thrilling predator zones to trek. After Amazon, Indonesia has the ecosphere’s second-richest wildlife zones.
- Climb the volcanoes. Those who are not that fit can take a rented vehicle from Bandung city. It is very safe to hike these volcanoes under experienced supervision and guidance.
- Visit and dive into the coral triangle. The Indonesian waters are very rich in coral. There are more than 750 species of corals. This is the world’s greatest area for marine biodiversity.
- Check out the most unique home roof of Tana Toraja. Some say that the roofs represent buffalo horns, and ships, and some say it’s spacecraft.
- Visit Sumatra to see the critically endangered orangutans. Also, you will find many tigers in this park.
The travel cost to Thailand is similar to Malaysia but the Thai culture is well-known for its street food and fancy restaurants. If you plan your trip to Thailand make sure that you taste their traditional food ‘pad Thai. The southern part of Thailand is costlier than the northern part. You can plan something in the northern region it will be cheaper.
This country is not only known for its distinctive lifestyle and nightlife but also for the economical cost of traveling, accommodation, and food. So when you search for cheap places in Asia consider Thailand for your next trip.
Things to do in Thailand:
- The secret Buddha garden is worth a visit as it holds a rich cultural history.
- Enjoy the breathtaking views from the top of Tiger cave temple. You will have to climb 1237 steps to get there.
- Crystal white sand with the dark blue sea at a bamboo beach in Thailand is a must-visit.
- The first university of Thailand Wat Pho has the longest reclining Buddha.
- The sanctuary of truth will give you a surreal experience. It is a wooden monument that features the belief of Thailand, India, Cambodia, and china.
For related –Top Places to Visit in Bangkok, Thailand
When we talk about the cheapest country in Asia, Laos tops the list. This is one of the most affordable tourist destinations on the continent. This country is gaining more and more popularity every year due to its beautiful waterfalls and dense jungles. This place is best for summer lovers, they can make their date astound summer date attractive by coming here, and can do various activities together.
Many tourists come here every year to experience the thrill of water rafting, kayaking, hiking, and exploring forests. Golden Temple, Kuang Si Waterfall, and Phousi Hill are major attractions in this country. Laos is also very popular for its mouth-watering street food that is offered at the cheapest rate. The most renowned dishes are Khao Jee, Lab Pib, KhaoTom, Sai Our, and much more that too at dead cheap prices.
Things to do in Laos:
- Visit the UNESCO world heritage site Luang Prabang in the northern part of Laos.
- The great stupa (45 meters tall) in That Luang is the country’s national symbol. One of the sacred monuments of Laos.
- Enjoy the beauty of stunning mountains, rivers, limestone cliffs, and caves in Vang Vieng.
- Trek and enjoy the great scenery and many unexplored corners on the Bolavean plateau.
7. Myanmar, Burma
Burma is very rich in nature and Buddhist artsy, culture & architecture. There are innumerable Buddhist sites you can explore in this land. The locals here are very friendly. Bagan is one of its ancient cities that is listed in UNESCO world heritage sites. This city can give you a sole reason to visit Myanmar.
Despite its history, Burma is a beautiful country with several gorgeous temples, tourist attractions, stunning landscapes, and palaces. The Burmese food is often spicy but very delicious in taste. The popular dishes in Burma are Mohinga, Ohn No, Lahpet, and much more. The price of food is very cheap but the accommodation & commuting costs can be more expensive than in other Asian countries.
Things to do in Myanmar:
- Take a hot air balloon ride at Bagan. When you come down visit Bupaya, Thatbyinnyu, and Ananda Paya.
- Visit the tower of Yangon, it’s a big golden icon that is visible from the city rooftops.
- Stopover Inle lake and take a boat ride.
- Roam around and enjoy the cool weather and flowering gardens at Kandawgi National gardens.
- Do trekking and explore a different Myanmar in Shan state.
When we talk about beautiful and cheap countries in Asia then Vietnam cannot go unlisted. Vietnam offers heavenly sights, stunning islands, beautiful waterfalls, and divine hills. Ho Chi Minh City famously known as Saigon is heaven for city lovers. From modern skyscrapers & iconic buildings to quaint cafes and golden temples, there are a lot of things you can explore in this land.
Temple of literature, Cu Chi Temple, and Notre Dame Cathedral are among the best tourist attractions in this country. The most prevalent dishes that are worth a try are bun cha, banh mi, and pho. You can do all these things at an economical rate including accommodation and transportation. Flights booking here are also cheap, so whenever you plan, book tickets in advance. But many times flight booking myths messages come while booking flights, ignore them.
Things to do in Vietnam:
- Go cruising and kayaking in Halong Bay (descending dragons).
- If you love coffee don’t miss the local ones at M2C café, Cosmo café, and L’uisine Dong Khoi.
- Explore the Cu Chei underground tunnel network.
- Visit Hoa Lo Prison to explore historical exhibits.
- Enjoy a musical show at Saigon Opera house.
- Shop the best silk at markets.
The third-largest Asian country India is way more affordable than one can imagine. This country has a lot to offer to visitors. From religious sites to spell-bounding nature. The combination of beaches, deserts, jungles, mountains, and cities is rare to find in any other Asian country. From the top of Kashmir to the bottom of Kanyakumari, you will find beautiful and mysterious things in every corner of this country.
If you are thinking of going on summer vacation then come to India, here are some top places to visit in India which you can enjoy by doing this.
India is one of the top cheap places to travel in Asia where you can survive for less than $20 a day. The price of accommodation and travel is cheap even if you opt for a decent one. The most popular places to visit in this country are the Taj Mahal, Amber Palace, Red Fort, Guwahati, and many more. The street food is delicious too at a cost-effective price.
Things to do in India:
- Visit the heart of Delhi and eat unique stuffed paranthas and other eateries at Paranthe Wali Gali.
- Check out the complex yet impressive structures of Akshardham near Yamuna River in Delhi.
- Visit one of the well-known cinemas (Raj Mandir) in the country at Jaipur.
- Visit the jolly music house at Varanasi. Watch open cremations, endless temples, and several religious ceremonies.
- Visit the relaxing golden temple at Amritsar and eat free langar food with several other people group.
- Watch breathtaking and snow-covered mountains in Himachal Pradesh.
Now Nepal is not as cheap as it used to be but this country is still very affordable than many other places in the world. This country is not only famous for the mountains but also there are several stunning views you can enjoy wherever you go, especially in Pokhara.
Many tourists come here every now and then to enjoy the tranquillity and have the experience of living near the Himalayas. The must-visit destinations in Nepal are Chitwan National Park, Boudha Stupa, and Bhaktapur Durbar Square. Also, you can enjoy trekking in various spots (if you want to save your money then avoid guided trips). The food, accommodation, and transport are also inexpensive.
Things to do in Nepal:
- Enjoy a great trek at the Everest base.
- Experience the panoramic flight that offers a complete view of all the splendid peaks on the earth.
- Do some mountain biking, fishing, and river rafting at Pokhara.
- Experience the Himalayas through a helicopter tour.
- The ancient Pashupatinath temple is worth exploring.
Some tourists may not consider Bangladesh among the top Asian countries to visit but several backpackers find this place incredible. This country offers different cultures and rich history that is worth to be explored. The top attraction here is Sundarban which is the most widespread mangrove forest around the globe.
Bangladesh has the largest sea beach in the world, Cox Bazar. There are a lot of things to explore here without straining your pockets.
Things to do in Bangladesh:
- Treat your eyes to celestial sights at Tara Masjid.
- Visit the architectural icon Pink Palace.
- Take a boat and roam around the heart of Dhaka.
- Eat delicious food and enjoy stunning views at Patenga beach.
12. Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka is also known as the teardrop of India as it is located in its ocean. This country is home to national parks, rich culture, and white sand beaches. This place is so beautiful that you can make it memorable, with enjoyment if you have the best smartphone through photo editing apps, you can take a photo here or you can take a selfie with yourself or your family, you can cherish this memorable moment. The size of the country is small but there is an incredible number of things that you can do here. But the cost of vacationing here is a little more expensive than in India.
Things to do in Sri Lanka:
- Visit the oldest landscape gardens at Sigiriya.
- Watch elephants swimming across Senanayake Samudra lake at Gal Oya National park.
- Experience the train journey and watch tea country from a different perspective.
Located in the eastern Himalayas, Bhutan is a Buddhist kingdom that offers snow-covered mountains which are fenced by steamy clouds. A popular city Thimphu in Bhutan is free from traffic lights and vehicles honking. This city assures one thing i.e. serenity.
This country is a world of monasteries, mountains, delicious dumplings, and prayer flags that flutters in the air. There is no sign of pollution in this country. A passport is not even required for this place, apart from American Travelers other than Indian Travelers can also come here without a passport and visit this place. However, it requires some important documents.
Things to do in Bhutan:
- Visit the most sacred and popular Taksang monastery at Paro.
- Check out the impressive 51-meter tall lord Buddha idol at Buddha Dordenma.
- Try some archery at Changlimithang Stadium.
Taiwan is a special place to visit for countless reasons. The people here are very welcoming and warm. With more than 100 mountains, black and golden sand beaches, museums, 9 national parks, temples, 30-night markets, and skyscrapers, this country has everything that one can enjoy.
Things to do in Taiwan:
- Enjoy healthy and fresh food at local markets.
- Tea lovers can explore many flavors in the Taiwanese teahouse.
- Check out incredible landscapes and rock formations at Yehliu Geopark.
- Swim in the hot springs at affordable prices in Taipei.
This country is sandwiched between China and Russia. Mongolia is hilly with unique culture and untouched nature. One of the unique traveling experiences in this place is staying with nomadic people and understanding their lifestyle as this country is a home of nomad culture.
It is easy to reach this country independently but quite difficult to travel without a guide. The very reason for this is the shortage of transportation.
Things to do in Mongolia:
- Visit the great white lake at Khorgo-Terkh National Park.
- Experience the breathtaking flaming cliffs at Bayanzag.
- Camp and trek among the singing dunes at Khongoryn Els.
- Enjoy the delightful lake Khovsgol surrounded by valleys, magnificent mountains, and forests.
Asia offers plentiful diversity as it is the largest continent in the world. While out of 48 countries some places are really expensive but the above-mentioned places offer a great trip within your budget.
Now you know that there are numerous places in Asia to explore with a tight budget. Please note that planning a trip to these countries will be even cheaper if you visit off-season like during monsoons. Apart from this, if you are planning to travel in monsoon, then definitely visit India, here are the best 20 monsoon destinations that you can explore. Another method to save money during the vacation is opting for organized trips. Traveling in a group will save a lot of costs as you are supposed to pay for it at the beginning that covers the cost of various activities including food.
You need to calculate the cost of accommodation, food, transport, and ticket charges for tourist places. This budget should also comprise the amount of money that you will require when you leave the country.
You need to research thoroughly, book in advance, and most importantly plan smartly. When you look for cheap places in Asia to travel then you have to consider all the options, especially those countries which you don’t think of. So, you have all the essential information for your next trip. Now buckle up for making new memories at your favorite destination without straining your pockets.